California Political Law, Inc., President Betty Ann Downing has extensive expertise in politics, legislative process, elections, campaign finance and governmental ethics matters.
Betty Ann’s law firm, government agency, and non-profit organization professional background includes positions in Sacramento and Southern California. She has served as the Ethics Program Consultant for the Metropolitan Water District, as a Senior Policy Analyst with the Los Angeles City Ethics Commission, as the Field & Legislative Director for the ACLU of Southern California, and as the Legislative Assistant for the Faculty Association of California Community Colleges. Prior to founding California Political Law, Inc., Betty Ann was one of two partners, in the law firm of Kaufman Downing LLP which specialized in all aspects of political law.
Betty Ann received her law degree from the University of Southern California and her Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the University of California, Davis. In 2005, her Guide to California State Lobbying Laws was published by CEB in its California Business Law Practitioner. Betty Ann is a frequent guest speaker for State Bar, California School Boards Association and other organizations on a wide range of campaign finance, governmental ethics, lobbying and election laws topics.
Betty Ann currently serves on the Board of the California Political Attorneys Association and is a member of the California Political Treasurers Association. She is a past Chair of the State Bar Public Law Section Executive Committee and served as the Public Law Section representative to the Council of State Bar Sections. In 2001 and 2002, as an appointee of the Mayor and City Council, Betty Ann served on the City of Long Beach Ethics Review Task Force which was charged with developing an ethics code and program for the City of Long Beach. Betty Ann has been a volunteer with the California YMCA Model Legislature & Court for more than 30 years and received the organization’s Outstanding Service to Youth award in 1985. She also serves on the Board of her family’s synagogue, Temple Beth Shalom of Long Beach. She lives in Long Beach with husband Larry Fell, daughter Shoshana Fell, and their dogs.
News & Updates
- Secretary of State Bowen Announces Certified List of 52nd Assembly District Candidates (News Updates from California Secretary of State Debra Bowen)
- Secretary of State's Office to Conduct Randomized Alphabet Drawing for Assembly District 52 Special Election (News Updates from California Secretary of State Debra Bowen)
- June 20, 2013: Commission Meeting (FPPC - What's New)
- Boards of Supervisors' 2012 Statement of Economic Interests - Form 700 Now Available Online (FPPC - What's New)
- May 29, 2013: Interested Persons Meeting - Campaign Manuals (FPPC - What's New)
- Oil and Natural Gas Tax Initiative Enters Circulation (News Updates from California Secretary of State Debra Bowen)
- Timber Industry Initiative Enters Circulation (News Updates from California Secretary of State Debra Bowen)
- Secretary of State Bowen Announces Newly Processed State Archives Collections (News Updates from California Secretary of State Debra Bowen)
- The FPPC is fighting for California voters right to know! (FPPC - What's New)
- Now available FPPC Summary of the 2012 Gift Rule Changes (FPPC - What's New)